Homemade Old Smokey Rub for Ribs
Mix together thoroughly the following:
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar (packed). We prefer "turbinado sugar" for ease of use, but either one works fine.
- 1/4 cup coarse kosher or sea salt.
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika (vs the hot kind)
- 3 tblsp ground pepper (fresh peppercorns recently ground!)
- 1 tblsp garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 1 tblsp dried onion flakes (fresh will not work in this recipe)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (no, it will not be "hot")
This recipe is enough for 3 to 4 racks of ribs and can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 months.